Deep Focus Module
Focus Stacking Software Module for QuickPHOTO Microscope Imaging Software
Deep Focus is a so called "focus stacking", "z-stacking" or "extended depth of field" (EDF) software module for QuickPHOTO programs. This module creates images with extreme depth of field, which cannot be achieved by a standard use of microscopes.
Deep Focus module can be used in conjunction with stereomicroscopes as well as with other types of optical microscopes for observation in transmitted or reflected light. The module is also suitable for macro-imaging. The whole process can be automated using motorized focusing modules provided by PROMICRA and other suppliers.
- Download demo version of Deep Focus module.
- Install the demo version into one of the supported QuickPHOTO programs.
If you do not have QuickPHOTO program yet, download and install its 30-day trial version.
- Evaluate the features of Deep Focus module. (Demo version provides all the features of a full version, but a watermark will be inserted into the created images).
- Contact us for purchasing a full license.
- Universality - the module can be used with:
- Optical microscopes for observation in transmitted light
- Optical microscopes for observation in reflected light
- Electron microscopes
- Macro images
- Excellent image quality - the module produces high quality images without artefacts
- Automation - the process of creating the images with extreme depth of field can be automated using optional module for z-axis motorization or a motorized stand or a microscope
- Easy to use and user friendly graphical interface
- Options to compose images opened in the QuickPHOTO program as well as images stored on a hard drive
- Compatibility with QuickPHOTO CAMERA, QuickPHOTO MICRO and QuickPHOTO INDUSTRIAL programs in version 2.3 or higher
Principle of Function:
1. Acquisition of a Stack of Slices with Different Planes of Focus
Because the depth of field of microscopes is limited due to optical principles (the higher the magnification, the shallower the depth of field is), a completely focused image needs to be composed from a series (stack) of standard images with different planes of focus, by software. A stack of several so called "slices" (images with different planes of focus) needs to be acquired first. Each of the slices contains different areas of a specimen well focused. The slices might be acquired manually by successive manual refocusing of a microscope or automatically using a PC controlled microscope z-axis motorization (see the Automation tab).
The animation above displays sequentially the slices intended for composition acquired from a stereomicroscope and the image composed by Deep Focus module. Movement of the specimen in the field of view occurs as well as minor scale changes.
2. Composition of an Image with Extreme Depth of Field
The next step is a composition of a fully focussed image, from the stack of acquired slices, using the Deep Focus module. Only the well focused areas from each of the slices are used by the Deep Focus module for composition of a fully focused image. Possible specimen movements in the field of view and scale changes are compensated automatically during the composition process. The result is a high quality fully focussed image (see example bellow or visit the gallery of composed images).
Automation of the Composition Process
The whole process of acquisition of a stack of slices and composition of a fully focused image may be automated using PC controlled z-axis motorization of a microscope (using additional focus drive or motorized stand). The automation makes routine work with Deep Focus module much more comfortable.
The automated procedure is very straightforward. It consists of following steps:
- Focusing the microscope to the bottom (lowest) part of the specimen using the camera's live view and setting the lower limit of the focus range.
- Focusing the microscope to the top (highest) part of the specimen using the camera's live view and setting the upper limit of the focus range.
- Selecting the number of slices to be acquired or a step between them.
- Clicking the Start button to begin the whole process.
- Waiting a while until the fully focused image appears.
Supported Devices for Microscope Z-axis Motorization:
- Attachable focus drives controllable by PROMICRA's CB-ZM control unit:
- PRO-MLS Heavy-Duty Motorized Stand developed by PROMICRA
- Several types of motorized microscopes
Gallery of Composed Images:
You can display the detail by clicking on the preview.
Images from Stereomicroscopes:
Images from Upright Microscopes - Transmitted Light:
Images from Upright Microscopes - Reflected Light:
QuickPHOTO CAMERA, QuickPHOTO MICRO or QuickPHOTO INDUSTRIAL program in version 2.3 or higher
|Minimum Requirements||Recommended Specifications|
|Processor||Single-core 2.4 GHz||Multi-core processor|
|Operating Memory||1 GB||2-4 GB|
|USB Ports||2x USB 2.0/3.0||2x USB 2.0/3.0|
|Operating System||Microsoft® Windows®
|Monitor Resolution||1024 x 768 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels|
You can find the compatibility table of supported imaging devices with operating systems here.
Microsoft®, Windows® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
02/2016 HDR 2.0 Module for QuickPHOTO Programs Released
New version of HDR (High Dynamic Range Imaging) module for QuickPHOTO is now available. It newly supports automated HDR image acquisition feature and can be combined with Deep Focus (EDF) module. More info>>
12/2015 HDR Module for QuickPHOTO Programs
HDR (High Dynamic Range Imaging) module for QuickPHOTO is now available.
10/2015 QuickPHOTO DSLR 3.1 Program is Now Available for Online Purchase
QuickPHOTO DSLR 3.1 is a lite version of QuickPHOTO imaging software intended for use with Canon EOS DSLR cameras.
08/2015 Support of Microsoft® Windows® 10 OS in QuickPHOTO Programs
QuickPHOTO 3.1 programs and additional modules support Microsoft® Windows® 10 operating system.
New Models of CANON EOS DSLR Cameras Supported
Canon EOS 750D/Rebel T6i, 760D/Rebel T6s and 7D Mark II are now supported by QuickPHOTO imaging software suite.
New Series of PROMICAM USB 3.0 Digital Cameras
New series of PROMICAM USB 3.0 cameras was introduced. The cameras provide excellent image quality, color reproduction and high live view frame rates. The cameras are supported by QuickPHOTO imaging software.
New Series of PROMICAM USB 2.0 Digital Cameras
New series of PROMICAM USB 2.0 cameras was introduced. The cameras provide excellent image quality for affordable prices. The cameras are supported by QuickPHOTO imaging software.
QuickPHOTO 3.1 Programs Available!
There have been released new QuickPHOTO programs in version 3.1. New versions feature several new features and many improvements. The free 30-day trial versions are available for downloading. Updates are for users of QuickPHOTO 3.0 programs free of charge. For users of previous version are the upgrades available for advantageous prices. You can find more information here.
SUNFLOWER illuminator is now PC controllable
SUNFLOWER illuminator can now be controlled by a computer. The SDK is available.
NEW Version of PRO-3D 2.0 Digital Microscope Available
New version of PRO-3D digital microscope is now compatilbe with LG Cinema 3D monitors and TVs. You can find more information here.